Monday, June 18, 2007

Good Advice

Lately I've been trying to do more cardiovascular-type exercise. So the past week after work I would do a slow jog home. Nothing too strenuous, just a light jog for ten minutes, then slow down when I get tired, then resume again. I'm definitely a bit out of shape, but slowly but surely I'll eventually get back to my target fitness level.

This was a bit challenging because the past two weeks were a bit hectic in the office. We've been dealing with some crazy deadlines, and people at work seem more highly strung than usual. I think it's because it's close to review time which makes people act weirder than usual. To tell you the truth, I never really cared about reviews, and I think this attitude has served me well in the past.

Another challenging thing the past two weeks has been the curious increase in other people trying to tell me what to do, to change my behavior, giving me advice and tips. While I certainly appreciate any advice I can get, frankly, most of the advice I get nowadays seem more like boasting, and a disturbing amount of 'advice' are just plain wrong and dangerous. Of course I never want to turn down any advice, wrong as it may be, so I try to stay polite and say something like "Oh, I didn't know that" or "That may be just what I need". It makes people feel better about themselves. I guess the best advice is to not believe everything you read and take everything with a grain of salt. In the end you have to make your own decisions and do what you think is best for yourself and not what other people tell you to do.

I've also got a backlog of books to read and DVDs to watch. Need to catch up on that. After this week I should have more free time.

No comments: